Why is comprehensive PIM data in Business Central so important?
We regularly receive questions from (potential) customers about PIM and what it actually entails. Below provides an overview of the primary functions within the Tinx PIM solution with accompanying explanations for each topic.
E-commerce titles are the titles used to describe and identify products on an e-commerce website. These titles should contain the main features of the product so that the customer can quickly understand what the product is and what it is intended for.
Here are some examples of how e-commerce titles can look:
Product name + brand name: for example, “iPhone 13 – Apple”
Product name + model number: for example, “Samsung Galaxy S21 – SM-G991U”
Product name + key feature: for example, “Wireless noise-cancelling headphones – Sony WH-1000XM4”
Product name + size/packaging: for example, “Pack of 3 reusable shopping bags – EcoBags”
Product name + color: for example, “Men’s T-shirt in red – Levi’s”
It is important to use a clear and accurate title so that customers can quickly find what they are looking for. Additionally, good titles can help optimize product pages for search engines (SEO), which can contribute to higher visibility and better sales results.
Short and long descriptions
Short descriptions and long descriptions are both important elements when describing online products.
A short description is usually a concise summary of the main features of a product. This description provides potential buyers with a quick idea of what the product is and what it can be used for. It is important to include the key benefits and features of the product in the short description to pique the customer’s interest.
On the other hand, a long description provides a more detailed description of the product. This can include a more extensive description of the product’s features, as well as information about its application and use. It can also include information about the materials the product is made of, dimensions, care and maintenance instructions, and any warranties.
A good long description provides the customer with enough information to make an informed decision about purchasing the product. It is important to keep the long description clear and concise, including the key features of the product that are relevant to the customer.
Meta titles and meta descriptions of products
A meta title and meta description are important elements for search engine optimization (SEO) of webshop products and can offer the following benefits:
- Better visibility in search results: The meta title and meta description appear in search engine results, allowing potential customers to quickly see what the page is about. By using attractive and relevant meta titles and descriptions, your webshop can stand out from other search results and attract potential customers.
- Higher click-through rates (CTR): An attractive and convincing meta title and description can increase CTR, meaning more people click on the link to visit your product page. This can result in more visitors and sales for your webshop.
- Clarity and consistency: A good meta title and description can help potential customers understand what the page is about and what they can expect. By ensuring that the title and description are clear and consistent with the page’s content, customers can more easily find what they are looking for and have more confidence in your webshop.
- More relevant searches: By using relevant keywords in the meta title and description, potential customers can find your products when searching for specific products or information. This can result in more traffic and sales for your webshop.
- Higher search engine rankings: By using relevant keywords and attractive meta titles and descriptions, your webshop can achieve higher positions in search engine results. This can result in more traffic, sales, and better visibility for your webshop.
Een meta-titel en meta-beschrijving zijn belangrijke elementen voor zoekmachineoptimalisatie (SEO) van webshop producten en kunnen de volgende voordelen bieden:
Bundled, grouped, and configurable products
Bundled, grouped, and configurable products are different types of products that are often used in webshops. Here are the differences between these types of products:
- Bundled products: These are products sold as a bundle, where customers can buy multiple products at once. This bundle may consist of different products that are often purchased together, or different variants of the same product. By offering bundled products, customers can save time when looking for matching products and often receive a discount on the total price. For example, a complete dining set that includes a dining table and four chairs.
- Grouped products: Grouped products are similar to bundled products, but instead of selling the products as one bundle, they are displayed as separate products on the product page. Customers can then choose which products they want to purchase. Grouped products can be useful when customers want the option to choose from multiple products that can be used together. For example, a laptop with a mouse and laptop bag.
- Configurable products: These are products that allow customers to select different options to customize the product to their specific preferences. This can include options like color, size, style, or other product characteristics. By offering configurable products, customers can find a product that better suits their needs, which can lead to higher customer satisfaction and sales. A common example is a T-shirt where you can choose both size and color.
All three of these types of products can add value to a webshop by offering customers more choice and flexibility and by simplifying the product selection and purchase process.
Assigning multiple languages to an online product has several benefits, including:
- Expanding the target audience: Addressing a larger target audience. It increases the likelihood that people who speak and understand different languages can find and purchase the product.
- International expansion: By making the product available in the languages of the countries where the company wants to expand, they can increase their reach and market share.
- Customer satisfaction: Offering multiple languages shows that the company takes into account the needs of customers who speak and understand different languages. This can contribute to a positive customer experience and satisfaction.
- Higher conversion rates: Customers can better understand the product and have more confidence in purchasing it. This can contribute to higher conversion rates and an increase in product sales.
Images and Video Links
Displaying images and YouTube/Vimeo videos alongside online products has several benefits:
- Provides a better view of the product: Images and videos show customers what the product looks like in reality. This can help them get a better idea of the product, increasing their confidence in purchasing it.
- Increases sales: Using images and videos can increase conversion rates because it allows customers to see the product in action and imagine how it fits into their lives. This can help them make the decision to purchase.
- Increases engagement: Videos can be an engaging way to involve customers with your product. A well-produced video can attract attention and help customers identify with the product and your brand.
- Builds trust: Showing images and videos of your products can increase customer trust in your brand. It demonstrates that you are willing to be transparent about what you are selling and that you are worthy of the customer’s trust.
Defining product structure based on category and attribute
A good product structure for webshop products can be defined based on category and attribute information by following these steps:
- Identify the categories: Start by identifying the different categories in which your products are classified. These can include, for example, clothing, electronics, home and garden, and so on. Create a list of the categories relevant to your webshop.
- Identify the attributes: Next, identify the various attributes that are relevant to each of the categories. These can include, for example, size, color, material, style, brand, and so on. Make a list of the attributes relevant to each category.
- Define the hierarchy: Define the hierarchy of categories by organizing them into a tree structure. For example, the category ‘clothing’ can be subdivided into subcategories such as ‘women’s,’ ‘men’s,’ ‘children’s,’ and so on. Each subcategory can, in turn, be further subdivided into more subcategories.
- Define attribute values: For each attribute, define the possible values that can be used to describe the attribute. For example, for the color of a clothing item, the values could be black, white, red, blue, and so on.
- Implement the product structure: Implement the defined product structure by assigning the appropriate categories and attributes to the products. Ensure that the products are correctly categorized and include all relevant attribute values. This helps improve search results and customer navigation within your webshop.
It is important to regularly evaluate and update the product structure to ensure that it remains relevant and optimal for your webshop and customers.
Attributes are important properties or specifications of a product that can help inform potential customers about what to expect when purchasing the product. In a webshop, product attributes can be displayed on the product page and can help provide a more complete picture of the product.
Some examples of attributes that may be useful to list on the product page of a webshop include:
- Dimensions: The dimensions of the product, such as length, width, and height, can help determine if the product fits in the intended space.
- Materials: The material from which the product is made can be important for customers interested in the quality and durability of the product.
- Color: The color of the product can be a significant factor for customers looking for specific colors to match their interior, wardrobe, etc.
- Weight: The weight of the product may be relevant for customers seeking lighter or heavier products, depending on their use and application.
- Warranty: The product’s warranty can be important for customers seeking additional protection or peace of mind with their purchase.
In general, product attributes help potential customers make informed decisions and can also enhance the customer experience by providing a clearer understanding of what to expect when buying the product.
Tags and labels
Tags and labels are terms or keywords used to categorize and organize products on a webshop.
Tags are specific keywords that describe the properties or characteristics of a product. For example, when it comes to clothing, tags can be used to indicate the type of clothing item it is (e.g., “pants,” “shirt,” “dress”), the material it’s made from (e.g., “cotton,” “leather”), the style (e.g., “casual,” “formal”), the color (e.g., “blue,” “red”), and so on. Tags can also be used to temporarily label a product as “on-sale” to draw extra attention to it on your webshop.
Labels are more general categories used to organize products. For example, in an electronics webshop, labels can be used to group products based on their type (e.g., “televisions,” “laptops,” “smartphones”), brand (e.g., “Apple,” “Samsung”), price range (e.g., “budget,” “premium”), and so on.
By using tags and labels, customers can more easily find products that meet their needs, and webshop owners can better organize and present products.
A multi-sales-channel approach in a webshop or marketplace means that the company doesn’t sell its products on just one platform but on multiple platforms simultaneously. This could, for example, mean that a webshop also sells products on Amazon, eBay, Zalando, or other online marketplaces.
By using a multi-sales-channel approach, companies can reach a larger audience and offer their products on the platforms where their target audience is present. This can lead to increased sales and higher revenue.
However, managing and integrating multiple platforms into the business process can also be a challenge. It’s important to ensure proper synchronization of inventory, prices, and shipping to prevent errors and ensure efficient management of all sales channels.
Providing each platform with its own PIM data
Providing each platform with its own PIM data can have several advantages:
- Consistent product information: This can ensure that the product information on each platform is unique. For example, it can help prevent confusion among customers and improve the overall customer experience.
- Optimization of product information: This allows you to optimize product information to meet the specific requirements of each platform. For example, you can separately optimize the requirements for product images, titles, descriptions, features, and specifications for each platform to achieve the best results.
- Improved visibility: This can help you achieve better visibility for your products. For example, if you’re selling products on Amazon, optimizing product information on Amazon can result in your products appearing higher in search results, increasing the likelihood of sales.
- Increased sales: This can help you generate more sales. This is because better visibility, optimized product information, and consistent information increase the chances of customers finding, trusting, and buying your products.
Cross-sell and up-sell relationships and related products
Establishing cross-sell and up-sell relationships or linking products as related products can have several benefits:
- Increased sales: By using cross-sell and up-sell relationships, you can boost your webshop’s sales. Cross-sell relationships involve recommending related products that complement the product a customer has already purchased, while up-sell relationships involve offering a higher-priced or more extensive alternative to the product a customer is considering buying. By giving customers more choices and pointing them to other products they might want to purchase, they can be encouraged to buy more.
- Increased customer satisfaction: Cross-sell and up-sell relationships can enhance customer satisfaction by directing customers to products that may be relevant to them and better meet their needs. This can result in customers being more satisfied with their purchases and less likely to return products or have complaints.
- Improved customer experience: By linking related products, customers can more easily find what they’re looking for and enhance the overall customer experience. This can lead to more repeat customers and a more positive image of your webshop.
Increased average order value: By guiding customers to related products, they can be encouraged to purchase more products than they originally intended. This can result in an increased average order value per customer.
However, it’s important to carefully select and link cross-sell and up-sell relationships and related products to ensure that they are relevant to the customer and actually contribute to sales. Unnecessary or irrelevant recommendations can discourage customers from buying from your webshop.
Curious about how Tinx handles PIM data in Business Central? Click here.